Friday, October 6, 2023

the wind and the rain - 25 - earlier


by nick nelson

part 25 of ?

for previous episode, click here

to begin at the beginning, click here



i am sorry about your loss, joe.

my what?

i am sorry the old lady is dead.

i am sorry too. i liked her a lot.

was there any kind of a funeral service? i am sorry i missed it.

no, i just chucked her the swamp, like she always told me to.

i see. i don’t know what the board of health might think, but i suppose what they don’t know won’t hurt them.

i took her out a ways. she always wanted big al to have her, cause they went back a ways.

yes, they must have been the two oldest inhabitants of the swamp.

well, joe, what are you going to do? i suppose you will stay on at the store with mr higgins. you are a big boy now, you should be able to take care of yourself. what exactly did you want to see me about?

i wanted to ask you something.

and what was that?

i don’t know if you can help me, but i don’t know anybody else to ask.

yes?

the old lady before she died, she told me something she wanted me to do. i mean, she told me about it before, but just before she left, she sort of - what do you call it -?

emphasized it?

that’s it . empha -a - sized it.

and what was it that she emphasied?

she wanted me to tear down the world and build it up again.

i see. rather a tall order.

i wasn’t really all that sure what she meant by that.

wiser men than you or i might well wonder what she meant.

i would hate to disappoint her. i feel like she is still watching over me, and i would hate her to think i was not trying my best to please her.

tear down the world and build it up again, eh? did she give you any hint as to how t she wanted to build it up again?

well, sir, i think she tried to, but i am not sure i exactly understood her.

i can believe that. no offense to you, joe, but her pronouncements could be a bit on the murky side. like all great prophets and philosophers.

do you have a book you could give me, or maybe i could get one from the library.

that is an excellent idea, joe. i think i know a couple of books you could ask miss carter at the library about. here, let me write the titles down for you.

next


No comments: